Monday, April 8, 2013

Back Again!

I went to Utah last week for about 36 hours.  I went to help Ryan with his 15 year mission reunion he was in charge of.  I flew in Friday morning and was scheduled to fly back home Saturday morning.  I extended my stay to spend some time with my parents.  My dad fell a week ago and broke his nose and both his wrists.  He had surgery Thursday.  His surgery went well and he is doing surprisingly well.  My mom on the other hand has her work cut out for her.  Bless her heart. I am glad I have a baby to take care of, so much easier!  Anyhow, I got home Saturday night around 11, left Aaron and Tyler at their grandma's and went home to Jordan.  He had my favorite nurses taking care of him while I was gone.  I am so thankful for them.  Four hours after arriving home we were off to the hospital.

The past week Jordan's secretions have been getting worse and worse.  On top of that he had a low grade fever.  You could tell he was getting something.  I was nervous to leave but felt like things would be OK.  Jordan was in good hands with our nurses. I am thankful however that he waited for me to get home to get worse.  Small tender mercies.  We took him to the ER and they admitted us. He had a fever of 102 before we left the house.  His respiratory rate was consistently high and his heart rate was  ranging between 180 -200 which is extremely high for him.  They took an xray and some cultures.  It came back as being positive for  adenovirus and metapneumovirus.  Both I have learned are bad enough to have on their own and not so good to have them at the same time.  My kids from the sounds of it had the adenovirus and were so kind to share it with their brother.

The doctors said that more than likely it will get worse before he gets better.  However, they didn't factor in the priesthood blessing he had and all the prayers that have come his way.  Which of course I believe in and rely on so much.  He has had a good day today.  His fever is back to low grade.  His color looks great.  His heart rate is down a little but his respiratory rate is still up.  The doctor is now saying that he thinks we may be "lucky" and he may have a mild version.  So he is being watched closely.  Brooklyn was similar.  Her fever would go down and we thought she was getting better and then it would spike back up quickly.  I am hoping he does not follow her pattern. It's pretty much a waiting game at this point.

Originally I had a doctors appointment scheduled today with Jordan's ENT to trade out his Trachea. The doctor is so kind, he came over in the morning to check on Jordan and then came on his lunch break to trade out his trachea.  I have been so impressed by him and thankful for Dr. Lundenburg.  He is the one who put in his trachea.  He has taken so much time with us and explains things over and over again making sure I understand and feel good about things.  He is so kind and super smart.  When you are going through an experience like this, it is nice to have a doctor like him.

Anyhow, Jordan got a different type of trachea last time we were in the hospital called a cuffed trachea.  It has a little knob where the cuff portion is and we had trouble getting it in and it was a painful process for him.  Normally we would trade out his trachea at home each month but with what happened last month the doctor wanted to do his next change in case there would be bleeding.  Which there was.  However being at the hospital they were able to sedate him through his IV and give him pain medication as well.  The process went so much smoother this round, thank heavens!  Another tender mercy.  Glad we were here for it.

Jordan hadn't slept most the morning so he made up for it in the afternoon.  I took advantage and left for a bit and surprised my other kids when they got home for school.  They definitely were surprised and glad I was at home.  My sweet friend Angela took Aaron all day and my other sweet friend Roxy brought us over dinner which was so nice not to have to worry about fixing.  I know I have mentioned it before, but we are so thankful for great friends and neighbors who have taken such good care of us through this process.  They seem to never tire of our neediness.

When I came back tonight, Jordan is still asleep.  His fever is not up but everything else is.  I hope he has a good night.  He is a little fighter.  He also is such a good patient.  He does not fuss much and he manages to pull out a smile here and there for the nurses.  He has them wrapped around his finger.  He can be a real charmer.  Love that kid!

I have taken pictures with my IPad, but I can't figure out how to get them to my computer.  I did however post a picture on face book if you are interested.   Thanks again for caring about my dear Jordan.

Good night.



 

1 comment:

  1. Kids that cute are not allow to get sick..just my rule! Sorry you are back in the hospital little one. Just keep amazing those doctors and nurses and showing them that nothing is going to get YOU down. Heidi your faith and love inspire me everytime I think of Jordan. He will be in our prayers and thanks for updating this blog so that I know how you are all doing. Ps thanks for the birthday call it made my day. I was already in bed when you called!

    ReplyDelete