Monday, July 15, 2013

In the Fire, From the Fire, Through the Fire

In the midst of blessings, it is easy to find wisdom in the work God performs.  Yet when I experience suffering in my own life or the life of others, I am tempted to question this wisdom, supposing perhaps that God is interested more in my comfort than He is in my salvation.  Certainly, the scriptures are full of such suffering and loss that at first glance, seems to fly in the face of a God of Love. 

When I read of Abel slain by his brother for being approved of the Lord, I have asked, “Where was God to protect his faithful son?”

When I read of Abraham being asked to sacrifice his miracle child Isaac, I have wondered, “Why would God require this of anyone?“  

When I read of Shadrach, Mechech and Abed-Nego refusing to worship Babylonian idols and being thrown into the furnace, I have questioned, “Where was God to smite the wicked king?”

When innocent children are called home through disease, disaster, or even the incomprehensible acts of others I have wondered, “Where is God to protect these little ones?”

What I have learned through time, prayer, and experience, however, is that the definition of Love that requires no freedom to choose or ability to experience loss, does not account for a picture that is far greater, far grander than what I see here on earth.  It does not account for the reality that Abel was taken up to Heaven and joined back to God by, through, and despite the actions of his wicked brother; he was saved by being fully committed to righteousness even “through the fire” of death.  Abraham was taken “from the fire” of needing to sacrifice his son; he was saved, however, not because he didn’t ultimately make this sacrifice but because he was willing to trust God regardless the sacrifice.  Shadrach, Meshech, and Abed-Nego were visited by Christ “in the fire” and were brought out unharmed; they were saved eternally not because they were not burned physically but because they were willing to sacrifice even their lives for their faith.

The true miracle is that each of these individuals, as with all who are faithful or who are innocent, were spiritually expanded and ultimately saved by their willingness to trust God.  The fact that they were taken through the fire, from the fire, or in the fire, is only relevant or meaningful to those left behind. 

In this light, having Jordan saved “from the fire” of death would have been a true miracle (representing the will and power of God beyond the understanding of men) only if it prepared me more completely to return to God than any other outcome   Knowing this, I can be grateful for a Father who requires more of me than I know I can give, in order to make more of me than I can otherwise become.

No comments:

Post a Comment