Tuesday, July 2, 2013

The Long Walk Home

I remember in A Christmas Carol, how one of the turning points for Scrooge was seeing Bob Cratchit walking home after the death of his youngest son; Scrooge was touched to the core by this loss and wanted to do what he could to change it--and he did.  As I watched, I remember thinking two things: 1) Losing a child would be the most difficult trial I could imagine; and 2) The spirits and lives of children have power to reach even the deepest corners of the soul and awaken us with power not only to want to be better but to actually change.

After losing a child, I believe both these previous insights are true.  In my limited experience, nothing has been more difficult than saying goodbye to my youngest son.  Yet nothing has been more meaningful to me and to so many others than the short life he led and the love he felt for and from all around him.  I am so grateful that for nearly 9 months I was blessed to be his father on earth and to care for this sweet boy.  I am blessed that he showed me so much about life and love and meaning and purpose and reminded me that angels don't need wings to fly.  

As I look toward the long walk ahead of me, I recognize that if a sick child from a hospital bed can open hearts and scatter blessings and change lives, then there is no limit to what I can do--to what we can all do.  As Jordan became my heart, so I can be his voice, feet, and hands to continue the work of love and change he began.  I can offer hope to others, lift the brokenhearted, and serve as a soldier for change to bring newborn screening for SCID to other families in Oregon.  I don't expect this walk to be easy but it is worth the effort because this walk is the long walk home, where Jordan is waiting.  

3 comments:

  1. Ryan, You and your wife have an amazing spirt and its not surprising that Jordan chose you to be his parents from up above. Jordan reminds me of my nephew. Both were God's Warriors and did unthinkable things when odd's were stacked against them. A mutual friend told me about your blog about a month ago when I was having sentimental feelings of sadness about my nephew. Each day since then I have been reading, and praying for your beautiful family and even though we have never met I sensed that Noah wanted me to read this blog about Jordan and your family. Its hard to see the coinsidence of both their Biblical names Jordan (for which connects Jordan and Israel) and Noah (whom God chose to build an arc to save man) maybe it is a random coinsidence but I will just state as Noah's sister often says "Angels are Tricky" I wish you and your family lots of strength and love during this path of healing. Thank you for letting us into your hearts and we all prayed for your sweet boy and loving family. May god always bless you with Jordan's spirit each day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your beautiful words. I don't know if you remember us from Lakeview ward (Heidi does- as I grew up with her) but you two have always been an amazing example to us. We pray for you and appreciate the wonderful example that you and Heidi have been to so many, as you have had to go through such a difficult time. Families are Forever... thank goodness for that knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Janeway family,
    I heard about your story last week from your friend, Jessi Beyer, and the marathon Jessi is planning on running in this fall in memory of your precious Jordan. Like you, I have also lost a child to SCID and I understand the loss and emptiness you are feeling. I've read through your entire blog and it breaks my heart to read that another baby has lost their battle to SCID because they were born in a state that doesn't currently screen for SCID. I'm Co-founder of SCID Angels for Life Foundation and it is our mission to see that Newborn Screening for SCID is implemented in all 50 states! You may or may not know that Oregon does the screening for 5 states, so it's imperative that screening begin in this state ASAP. I know you're going through an extremely difficult time right now but if you feel a calling to share Jordan's story to see that newborn screening for SCID is implemented in Oregon, please let me know and I will help direct in this journey. Praying for peace for your family.
    With deepest sympathy,
    Heather Smith
    SCID, Angels for Life Foundation

    ReplyDelete