Sunday, February 10, 2013

Patience



November 5, 2012 

The weekend was a little rough with the surgery aftermath and recovery.  However, when I arrived today Jordan looked so much better!  His face had great color and was bright eyed and so aware of his surroundings.  It was a lot of fun talking to him and having him watch me intently.  Have I mentioned how adorable he is???  He's pretty darn cute!  The nurse pulled a mobile for him today as well and he really enjoyed watching it and listening to the music.

The blue tube below attached to his neck is a humidifier.  It keeps the trachea moist so "boogers" don't form and clog it.  He started to desat a few times today but as we cleared out the trachea it would immediately go back up, which to me is promising.  Since the nurse has 2 babies to watch and can't always be in the room, I feel like the advantage of my being there is I can keep a closer eye on him.  The minute I could see him struggle and have secretions come out of his trachea I could suction them up and respond more quickly before the alarms went off.  I am getting more efficient at the suctioning.  My St. Vincent nurses would be proud!


The highlight of my day is when my dear nurse unhooked Jordan from his food, heart monitors, and humidifier and let me take him for a walk in the hall.  Freedom!!!  I can't tell you how giddy I felt as I walked my boy around for the first time.  He was so peacefully and calm, checking out his new surroundings.   We would walk around the NICU, make our way back to the room, suction his trachea and head back out.  I didn't want to take him back in the confines of his room or bed any too soon.  I had to make sure we marked the event with a picture.  Doesn't he look great?



Definitely a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment